WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Attorneys & Law Students. An overwhelming demand exists for civil legal services in the U.S., and our mission is to provide legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Michigan. We accomplish this mission with the help of committed, pro bono lawyers, like you.
OUR CLIENTS, YOUR NEIGHBORS
We represent individuals who are in high need, and all of our pro bono clients are pre-screened for financial assistance. Since the majority of our clients are Michigan residents, your pro bono assistance may have a direct impact on the residents of the communities where you live and work.
DIVERSE OPPORTUNITIES FOR PRO BONO LAWYERS
We provide direct legal representation for a wide range of civil matters affecting the lives of low-income Michigan residents, as well as legal training for community members and social service providers. We welcome the assistance of pro bono attorneys with all of these activities. We support our volunteers from case assignment to closure, screening each pro bono matter carefully, providing a staff mentor or co-counsel when requested, as well as access to case materials, electronic research databases and training.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED?
If you are interested in volunteering, please submit the Volunteer Form below.
Opportunities to Provide Direct Legal Representation:
- Consumer Law: defend clients in debt collection cases and protect vulnerable persons from predatory or deceptive practices
- Family Law: represent clients in custody and domestic violence cases
- Housing Law: advocate for clients in housing conditions cases, while defending tenants sued for eviction, as well as assisting families in maintaining federal housing subsidies
- Public Benefits: represent clients who have been denied a public benefit, such as Social Security disability or unemployment benefits
- Wills and Advance Directives: assist clients with drafting wills, powers of attorney and living wills
Legal Training and Community Education:
- Legal Skills Training: experienced attorneys are needed to train our staff attorneys on a range of legal skills
- Substantive Legal Training: we also welcome the opportunity to host presentations by practitioners with specialized legal knowledge on topics that impact our clients
- Community Workshops: we regularly conduct "Know Your Rights" presentations in the community, and we welcome the help of volunteer attorneys to organize and teach these workshops. We have a particular need for bilingual (Spanish-English) attorneys to assist with this work